My Daily Protein Shake!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Power of a Good Night's Sleep!

We've all heard that getting a good night's sleep does a body good.  But I never realized how truly important sleep and regeneration is for seeing progress in the body's physique.  I just never saw the correlation.  I used to stay up pretty late at night once the kids were in bed so I could get to those tasks that were left open during the day.  It was quiet and peaceful at night to sit alone and just be and it was hard to shut that down knowing the crazy busy of the next day was coming soon.  But what I didn't realize was that I was actually stealing from my own potential.

Most recently during the holiday season, I've been socializing with friends a little more and have been at several functions at night, keeping me going later than I'm used to.  What's happened is when the alarm sounds early the next day, I'm struggling to get going and usually hit snooze over and again.  My body's dragging and suddenly I've cut out a few hours of productivity and time with my family just by failing to get up as early as I'd intended!

Additionally, my body needed those few hours of sleep that I sacrificed, and the repair and regeneration from the day's workout was being affected as well.  Getting into a deep sleep for at least seven to eight hours is what's needed to see the results you're desiring.  You can go on for a short while on less sleep, but in the long run you're just halting your results and your body's natural ability to grow and repair from the day before.

I look at sleep differently now.  If I want the maximum results from the diet plan and lifting and cardio routine I'm following, then I can't forget the value of getting to bed on time.  It sounds silly to say, but I'm not a 50% kind of person.  No one wants to put in 100% effort and get 50% results, right?  But if I don't make a full night's sleep a priority, that's what's really happening.

Additionally, studies show a correlation to lack of sleep and increased obesity rates.  What often happens is you use food late at night to fuel you on, often times coupled with poor food choices.  So the next day when the body  is starting to crash, it's common to go for those comfort or quick-pick-me-up foods full of sugar and caffeine that contribute to weight gain.  It's all part of the equation to getting your best physique.  So as you plan your day, plan to shut it down early and make turning in at a decent hour for the night a priority.....To your best physique yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment