My Daily Protein Shake!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Journey To My FIrst Figure Competition: 12 Weeks Out


12Weeks Out: January 20, 2013 (almost 6 weeks in on contest prep)

141.6 lbs; Body Fat: 13.9%....just a tick up from last week (13.67%); week of PMS!
Calorie intake:Most days are 2300-2500; NO refeed this week, but I did dig into a confessed cheat of 1c oatmeal, 6 marshmallows, and 3T of chocolate chips on Friday night.  I had a craving that I could not shake and I chose to cave.  Tracked it and moved on!
Cardio: 4 days on the tread at 45 minutes each at 70% max HR (roughly 140 bpm)
Lifting:Lifted all body parts this week on a new line up.  I did a 5-day split of: legs, biceps/triceps, chest, shoulders, back.  It was different, but Jackie tells me she sending me back to my former routine for the upcoming week.  2 legs days...I like it!




My weight and body fat this week pretty much stayed the same.  I'm also at that time of the month soon, so I believe my body's fighting the process (water weight!).  This week I really hit a mental block.  DOUBT set in my mind.  Not that I couldn't do it, (because I know I can), but rather am I really getting results?  Will I really transform enough to deserve a spot up on stage?  I'm a perfectionist and I want to be there NOW, but in reality I know that science is science and in due time with my consistency and hard work, my transformation will get where it needs to be.  I do see a slow improvement in my waistline, which genetically, is where my family carries our "fluff".  Well, fluff, meet consistency, because you're moving out SOON!


This journey is NOT just about taking weekly body pics and reporting my body fat.  There's SO much that goes into it, but it's also VERY doable.  I'm a Mom of 4 and I keep up with life, hang out with friends, enjoy time with the fam, hit church, and help my husband in Real Estate.  There's balance to this hobby and I'm LOVING this lifestyle!  So, I want to show more of the behind the scenes of what goes on in my week......

We dined out for lunch (me not really!).  The fam enjoyed a nice meal and I CHOSE to eat my contest prep foods at home.  It's just too tough to trust people to prep my food properly.  I can't measure it and know exactly what's in it, so I just would rather do it myself.  I did, however, order the hummus platter out just to get the raw veggies to hold me over until I got home.  I took a few barely-in, slight dips of veggies in the hummus and then started to wonder its content.  I looked it up online to find out the whole bowl offered 995 calories and 44 grams of fat.  NO THANK YOU!  So, I finished the veggies and left the hummus right there alone on the plate.  Point in case: even so-called "healthy" foods have to be measured or you can get in real trouble and affect your results.



This week I started to focus on ordering my suit.  After researching online and connecting with a few other local Figure gals about their suits, I considered my options.  I was preparing to order from Vizioncouture.com at the suggestion of another gal, but then got additional advice that a somewhat local suit designer would allow for in-person fittings in order to create a custom suit for me.  So I contacted Amy at Suits By Amy and have an appointment to go get fitted for my suit (about 45 mintues from home) in a few weeks.  This is especially concerning to me because, as you can see, I sport a hip-to-hip scar on my abs from my tummy tuck just 11 weeks back.  Amy wanted a pic of my scar to make sure all was well to proceed with a fitting.  I found it more beneficial to have someone local use my body as a guide to make the suit and do their best to promote my positives and hide the negatives!

Someone off Facebook wrote to ask me how I planned to really cover that scar up in order to get on stage.  I had not fretted or feared over it and if that silly scar makes a slight reveal, I'm ok with it.  People sport tattoos, have other surgery scars and some even have lost limbs and it doesn't keep them off stage.  This body bore four healthy kids in six years and the skin on my former abs was trashed.  This is an upgrade and as far as I'm concerned, it's part of my package deal!  I'm not losing sleep over it...it is what it is and in due time you'll hardly be able to see it!




It was time this week to update the kicks.....new Nike Shox in the house!!  They wear a little stiff, but sure do look pretty!  




My workouts are taking longer and longer because I make it a priority to focus on form AND get a good stretch in AFTER my workout.  You never want to stretch cold muscles, so I wait until after I workout to really get a whole-body stretch in on the mats or even use the Smith Machine to engage my upper and lower body at the same time.  Pictured here I'm doing a pigeon pose from Yoga and it hits the glutes and hammies like no other!




One of my pieces of food art this week!  Near some 450+ calories of veggies, sweet potato, chicken breast, and my beloved spicy mustard.  You can't forget the mustard, just make sure there's no sugar in the ingredients!  


Mindy's First Show Date: 
Saturday, April 13, 2013
NPC Indiana's "Natural Indiana" Show
Maddam Walker Theatre, Indy




1 comment:

  1. Awesome figure! It's evident that you went through intense training and strict diet to get that body. I like that you emphasized the balance in life because some get very addicted to achieving the body they want that they forget the rest of the world. Yes, your lifestyle is fun indeed, and I'm impressed.

    Derrick Washington @Personal Training Hudson

    ReplyDelete