My Daily Protein Shake!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lift Weights.....How to get started!

If you follow Fit Gal on Facebook, you'll often see me post something like "Lift {heavy} like a girl" or "Don't just show up for cardio, lift {heavy} to change your shape!"  I've fallen in LOVE with weight lifting and it's my newest must-do for all the Fit Gals and Guys out there.

When I was coming into my journey three years ago after the birth of my fourth child, I went right for my cardio classes. I was head bunny in the Cardio Bunny Club (Ok, I made that up!) and was all about the beat, the sweat, and how many calories I could burn in each 60-minute session.  When my results would stall, I'd work even harder (not smarter) and do two back-to-back intense, 60-minute cardio classes, because that's how you burn more fat and get definition, right?  Wrong!

In the Spring of 2011, one of my pals sensed my frustration from my then seven-month plateau and dragged me to a strength training class.  "You've got to start lifting weights, Mindy," she urged as I was midway through my {poor} excuses of why it was boring, I was so busy, and how much I really loved my cardio.  "Lifting weights is SO slow and I get SO bored," I replied as I pulled one of my princess cards.  "And one time, after I lifted in a Strength Class, my muscles really hurt the next day."  Ummmm, did I reallly say that?!  Sadly, yes, I did!

I started the then Group Exercise Strength class and fell.in.love.  Over time, my body started changing, but my goals changed too.  I wanted to do more of my own plan and take on a different lifting style and size of weights from what was in the classes.  So, with my fit friend Shannon in tow, we hit the free weights in the Workout Center at my Fishers YMCA.  She had previous experience lifting with her husband who had done amateur bodybuilding in the past, so having her alongside me taught me a TON!  She taught me about proper form and also would speak up and tell me I could lift heavier on times I needed to increase my weight.


By the Spring of 2012, schedules changed, my goals evolved, and I ended up hiring a Personal Trainer by the name of Jackie at the Fishers YMCA.  Hiring a trainer continued to teach me more about proper form, new exercises, how to plan my workouts for effective progress, and the why and science behind how my body was continuing to adapt and transform with my weight training.  Over time, my cardio was cut WAY back to sometimes even no cardio in a week or at most three 20 to 30-minute interval sessions of some sort.  What I had learned was that all the muscle I was working to build was broken down by unnecessary long and frequent cardio sessions or classes.  I was my own problem and doing more was sending me backwards.  I had to learn to work smarter, NOT harder!

So, where do you begin if you're wanting to make a change and want to start seeing more shape and definition in your body?  First fact: you can't ever ever shape fat, only muscle.  Fat cells in adults will shrink or grow as you lose or gain weight, but you can never shape it.  In order to change your look and get more muscle reveal, you must work to build it.  Second fact: if you lift light and you are say a pear shape, for example, you will still be a smaller pear.  Want to change your shape and build more muscle and even go against genetics?  Then you HAVE to lift heavy!

So, how to?

1.  Park the cardio or greatly reduce it.  I'm not a trainer, but in my opinion, no one needs more than three 20 to 30-minute cardio sessions a week.  Any more and I believe you're going backwards and potentially eating the muscle you've been trying to build, that is if building muscle is your goal.  Some people may say that they don't want to get really bulky and fear lifting weights, but if you're looking for a way to have that "I workout" look, have your clothes fit better, lower your body fat, and improve your metabolism so you burn more calories while at REST, then start pushing the iron!  


2.  Get over the fact that as a woman you WON'T bulk up from strength training.  Don't let fear of getting "big" keep you from lifting the iron.  It just won't happen without some added substances and I'm pretty sure this group is not taking that route!

3.  Get uncomfortable!  Sure, you will feel awkward in the free weight area.  You might think everyone is staring at you, but who cares.  Everyone had their "Day One" at some point and you'll only have one because show up again and "Day Two" is soon to follow!  Get in there, watch others, meet new people, get a training Push Partner, and learn, learn, learn.  No.more.excuses!

4.  If you are at a Gym, it's in your best interest to get in a Group Exercise strength training class, private Personal Training, group training classes or sessions, or introductory how-to sessions so you can learn.  It's an investment into your future, not an added expense.  You'll get an education about form, strategy, weight size, and exercises for your goals and that knowledge base will take you miles.  It also prevents injury and teaches you the smarts about how to tackle the free weights.  I can't speak for what your facility offers, but take the first step and inquire within!  We ALL were beginners at some point!

5.  Once you have a knowledge base, come up with a plan and get to work!  There are many online options, but there are three that I would use if I were in your shoes.  I have not used any of these plans, but I trust their sources and feel you'll be in good hands!

NPC Physique Competitor Roxie Beckles, Muscle is the New Sexy, 12-Week Transformation Plan; Intermediate+ level; Free!
Click HERE! 


The Sweat Betties, 12-Week Progressive Lifting Program; Free!
Click HERE!


Busy Mom Gets Fit, 12-Week Programs for in the gym and at-home; 3-day and 5-day spread programs for purchase
Click HERE!


6.  So you've got your plan.  You're in the gym and now what do you do?  Proper form is your best friend.  If you're looking around and trying to lift more than anyone else, but your form is way off, you won't make progress and likely will soon encounter an injury.  When lifting heavy, you want to be challenged enough so that your last few reps of each set are near failure, but steady enough that your form is still accurate.  Focus on going slow and low in cases of working legs or hitting your full range of motion on the plate machines.  If you're doing half reps, straining to complete the exercise, or falling out of form, reduce your weight for caution of injury.


7.  For me, my trainer typically has me do 3 to 5 sets of an exercise for 8 to 12 reps.  If it's a set where I'm going SUPER heavy, then we do reps of 5 or 6.  It all just varies, but it's wise to keep it changing so you confuse your body.  There are tons of training methods, but my personal training split has been: Monday-legs; Tuesday-Shoulders; Wednesday-Back/Biceps; Thursday-Chest/Triceps; Friday-Legs day 2;  Cardio is thrown in there depending on where I am in Contest Prep.  Sundays are most typically my rest and refeed days.  As of the upcoming week, we're changing it all up and pairing different body parts, so keep that in mind as you progress.  Change does a body good!


8.  Get an app, notebook or lifting journal and track your progress.  Write out your plan ahead of time, record you weight sets, take notes, and aim to hit that or heavier the next time.  That concept helps you know where you were and grow your strength each time.  I keep my journal in my purse and it's always with me.  I can easily snap a shot of my workout using my phone and text it to my trainer as needed.  


9.  EAT!  One of the fitness pros I follow says women need at least 2500 calories daily of lean protein, vegetables, complex carbs and healthy fats to really grow and build muscle.  While I know that's true for those like myself who are training to compete in Figure competitions,  those who are also looking to simultaneously lose weight would be overeating.  The task of trying to lose weight and build muscle is a very sensitive subject in the fitness world, but I believe that overtime and with patience, it can be done.  BUT, you HAVE to EAT and eat well!  One of the biggest ways to really hurt your progress and stall both weight loss and muscle building is to under eat.  I'm truly passionate about this because I promote a balanced lifestyle in my message and with that balance comes eating {well} to fuel your healthy body.  Need to know just how much to eat?  I suggest using this website HERE to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)!


10.  Get your rest, drink your water, and make sure to hit your post workout (PWO) nutrients.  Read more about that concept in this post on #5 on my list of "Top 10 Tips" HERE!  It's all part of a big equation and learning to practice this new pattern will take time and trial and error, but you'll find what works for your body.


11.  Overall, insert patience.  This is not a sprint, but rather a marathon that is ongoing for the rest of your life.  Changing your shape and building muscle takes TONS of time and consistency.  If you're searching for something fast and easy, you won't find it, so you're better off just being content with the current package you have.  You may see someone with a build that you desire, but what you likely have not seen is the years of work and discipline that they've already invested.  Realize that slow progress IS progress and in due time, you'll see change.  Be willing to do the time, enjoy the journey, learn from your failures and then get ready to meet the new {and improved!} you!  



Have a program and want to add it to our list?  Email Mindy HERE!
Give me your feedback on your progress and which program you use!  I'd love to know.
No matter your path, just be prepared to get uncomfortable and go for change.  
Hats off to a new you!
Now, go.lift.{heavy}.like.a.girl!  




No comments:

Post a Comment