My Daily Protein Shake!

Monday, December 3, 2012

The Difference IS in the Details!


-by Mindy Irish

I met with my trainer Jackie from the Fishers YMCA in Indiana recently and we sketched out a plan of training, diet, and measuring for the next 19 weeks.  I have had a long-time goal and dream to train for and compete in Figure competitions.  Come April 13, 2013, I will be up on stage putting this dream into reality in my first NPC competition in downtown Indy!

The preparation for this event starts long before the show.  It starts now, actually yesterday, actually last week.....it started when I knew I could do it!  It wasn't just about imagining myself up on stage, it's feeling like that's where I knew I belonged and where I could be competitive in this sport.  I had the vision and made the commitment to make it a reality.




If you have no background or knowledge of bodybuilding, it's all about the preparation.  It's the culmination of all my choices day in and day out weeks and months before the show that produce the package that I'll bring to the stage.  That's what I love about it, it's about being mindful and intentional every step of the way!

I went through the first 2.5 years of my fitness journey focusing primarily on a number on the scale.  It was all about the weight loss and a certain pants size.  Once I got there, I knew I had to switch my focus.  Training for Figure, or any sport or event that one chooses, is my way of having meaning to my activity and giving me accountability and purpose to my mission.  There's a target and I'm aiming to hit it!

No matter what you're going for, the difference in your outcome lies in the details.  The better you can make your habits, the more likely you'll be to hit and surpass your goals.  The compound effect of your choices DOES matter and while you might not see a change from one week to the next, staying on track with your diet and activity plan will produce positive results long term if you're consistent AND honest with yourself.

So just when you think a sneak, off-plan treat here or a skipped workout there does not matter, just know that it does.  If you're not training for something maybe you need to switch gears and go for what scares you?  Find an event or race or club of an activity that interests you and sign yourself up.  Get uncomfortable, set a goal, work your plan, and then focus on the details.  If I can do this, so can you.  You just have to believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment