My Daily Protein Shake!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Seeds planted....flowers in bloom!


-by Mindy Irish
This week one of my littles asked if we could have green beans for dinner.  It hit me how closely our children really watch what we say, do, eat, and how we treat people.  He sees me buy and eat a lot of vegetables, so he's getting the message I'm sending.  That makes my heart hum with joy!

Don't get me wrong.  When my kids get the choice, they love their junk food.  I know the diet I choose for myself is on the extreme end, so I have to actually be very careful to offer more of a variety for their young diets.  My kiddos get their fair share of "kid foods", but I also make sure to teach them about food choices and the effects of such choices.  Little by little they're getting it!

My personal choice to strive for a balanced life of fitness, clean foods, emotional well being, and spiritual connection really started out just for me.  As I've traveled this journey for nearly 2-and-a-half years, it's come to be that my journey is really more about reaching other people.  Happily, my family is a part of that reach.

I don't just strive to live well for me, but also to model balance for my children and husband as well.  I figure that every choice is a seed that gets planted in them and it someday will come to bloom.  I know I'm not perfect, but I want those seeds to be as positive as possible so the crop that's reaped in their own lives can be healthy and positively impact others in their circles someday, too!


I went for a run this morning and passed one of the homes I had renovated and lived in a few years back.  Much to my surprise and joy, the daffodils that I had so purposefully planted were in full bloom and had multiplied, just as I had envisioned when I started that project.  It hit me.....hard.  Each decision we make is a seed that gets planted in our own lives and in the lives of others.  It all comes to bloom at sometime or another....maybe days, weeks, or years down the road.  In this case, it was a very pretty reminder of how best to leave your positive mark!

So just when you think that making yourself a priority is all about you, you realize it truly is just the opposite!  It's about you being the best you possible so you can encourage others to be the best them, too!  Happy seed planting....in all areas of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment